Upgrade your browser!
You''ll enjoy this experience much more in a modern browser.
Plus, we can''t guarantee everything will work correctly for you in this old browser. Check out this list of modern browsers that we think would be a good replacement.
- Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT
Sorry, this event is not available.
This event was available from Sunday, September 5, 2021 10:00 AM until the event start date.
Greetings, Jazz Vespers Guest!
We are so excited to announce the re-opening of our doors for the Jazz Vespers performances....finally! And we are so glad to be able to come back together in person, safely!
We will be welcoming guests into the building on a LIMITED CAPACITY basis. Here’s what you need to know about getting in:
Sunday, September 26th @ 3pm
- You will need to register ahead of time to secure your spot.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Proof of vaccination status is required and must be shown via your NY State Excelsior Pass QR Code. Or physically shown at the time of arrival.
- Doors will open 30 minutes before service begins -Entrance at 36 St. James Place.
- Remember to fill out the bit.ly/EBCJAZZHEALTH prior to your arrival!
Additionally, Covid safety guidelines will be strictly enforced throughout all services:
- Social distancing will be in place, both in line outside of the church and with seating inside. Pews will be marked accordingly.
- Masks must be worn at all times for the duration of worship, over both your nose and mouth.
- Entry is from the St. James side only, and the exit is via the Lafayette side of the church.
Instrumentalist, Vocalist, Composer, Arranger, Lyricist, Actress, & Teacher
Fostina Dixon is a composer, vocalist, and jazz soloist who plays soprano, alto, and baritone saxes; flute; and clarinet. Ms. Dixon has been guest soloist with Abbey Lincoln, Barry Harris, Earl May, and the Big Apple Jazzwomen. She has also played with Gil Evans, Roy Ayers, Tom Browne, Charlie Persip, Melba Liston, Cab Calloway, Slide Hampton, Frank Foster, Joe Williams, Nancy Wilson, Bobby Vinton, Sammy Davis, Jr., Prince, and Marvin Gaye, with whom she toured for four years. She was a member of the Gerald Wilson, Jimmy Cleveland, and Leslie Drayton big bands.
As a professional musician, Ms. Dixon has performed at numerous clubs, colleges, libraries, churches, community art centers, New York's Jazzmobile concert series, theaters, and toured abroad. In 2019 Ms. Dixon and group “Winds of Change” were recipients of a grant from the South Arts Road Jazz Tour. Other performances in 2019 include the Medgar Evers College Jazz Series, Delaware State University, Clements Place presented by the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers University, Harlem Jazz Series,
Fostina Dixon & Winds of Change (Lonnie Plaxico, Yayoi Ikawa, Todd Kilgoe, and Tony Lewis) has appeared at the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival, Mary Lou Williams Jazz Festival, New York's Annual Afrikan Street Carnival, the Annual New York Women's Jazz Festival, the Annual Black Women's History Conference, the Kool Jazz Festival, Greenwich Village Jazz Festival, and the Annual Jackie Robinson Festival in Norwalk, CT. Fostina has also toured Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, France, and the Netherlands.
Fostina received a Christi Award for her contributions to promoting the arts in the community, an Outstanding Arts Educator Award from the Delaware Board of Education, and an Outstanding Contributor award from the Council of Jazz Advocates for her work as an arts educator, and as the Founder and longtime Executive Director, of the Wilmington Youth Jazz Band.
Band: Winds of Change
Fostina Dixon - Leader/Singer/Multi-Instrumentalist
Lonnie Plaxico - Bassist
Yayoi Ikawa - Pianist
Tony Lewis - Drums
We look forward to seeing you at the Jazz Vespers!